Freddy Freeman was an orphan under the watchful eye of his grandfather when, while fishing at sea together, they encountered a plummeting Captain Nazi. Despite saving his life, the villain repaid their kindness by slaying Freddy's grandpa and crippling the lad. Near death, Freeman was revived with an infusion of Captain Marvel's abilities as he became a Junior version of his hero and join the Marvel Family.
Interestingly, Freddy's doppleganger of Earth-One's Lar Gand aka Mon-El (and Marvel Lad for a brief period of time) and Earth-Two's Halk Kar... while Junior's Earth-One analogue was Eltro Gand aka heir to Mon-El and the Earth-Two analogue was an alternate future version of Diana "Wonder Woman" Prince. Lar and Halk were the origins who by way of their universes' Kryptons made it to twin Earths from their homeworlds of Daxam and Thoron, respectively. While Halk returned to the planet of his birth, Lar was exiled into the Phantom Zone for a thousand years before being freed by the Legion of Super-Heroes... a fellow phantom but from Earth-Two was the costumed crusader known as Doctor Occult who was a member of the All-Star Squadron. Clad similar to his counterpart Eltro, the Doctor had a heroic career as notable as that of Marvel Lad Mon-El and Captain Marvel Junior, often mistaken as related to Earth-Two's Superman given their similar appearances.
After Richard's costumed career concluded, another doctor... Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson)... picked up where he left off. While Fate's alter ego was the doppleganger of Earth-S' Oggar, disciple of Shazam who also had superhuman powers like the Marvel, much of his later escapades as a caped crusader mimics Junior's career. Also, Nelson and Oggar's Earth-One counterpart Bert Belker had his brief career quashed by Superboy, who carried on his heroic activities. Confused yet?
Of note is how these super-substitutes displayed remarkable similarities as had their own "twins" whose psyche they were attached to:
- These three wore costumes with primary blue, red and yellow.
- Each was an orphan due to tragedies involving their families.
- All three had similar superhuman abilities rivaling the Supermen and Cap.
- Superboy was a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, Doctor Occult a member of the All-Star Squadron, Captain Marvel Junior a member of the Crime Crusaders Club.
- All three were allies of the Supermen and were separate and distinct, although each had ties to him.
- Superboy was at times separate from his adult version living life in the 30th century, although he one day became Superman.
- Doctor Occult was viewed as an identical twin to Superman, and had a career prior to Superman's that lasted for many years..
- Captain Marvel Junior shared abilities with his older version, and as Freddy Freeman filled the void of Clark Kent on his world..