On the surface it would definitely appear that this is exactly what the Hawkmen were... cut from the same cloth. The Winged Warriors definitely mirrored one another in various ways during the prestigious careers. Indeed they have several similarities such as:
- same secret identity (Carter Hall... but not always) and public alias (Hawkman)
- girlfriend/partner named the same (Hawkgirl/Shiera... although not from the beginning)
- same pants/boots/chest straps and helmet (the latter for only a brief period, however)
- working in the museum/ancient artifacts field (though both had earlier careers)
- members of their world's premier teams (Justice League/Society of America)
However, they had several differences. The silver age Hawkman was originally alien police officer Katar Hol sent to Earth-One, while the golden age Hawkman was a lifelong citizen and millionaire inventor of Earth-Two. Katar gained knowledge of Earth history from a device known as the absorbacson, Carter learned of the ancient Egyptian life of Prince Knafu (the counterpart of Earth-One's Prince Raman, incidentally) through a crystal dagger. The original Hawkman liked to change his headgear often, the other not as much so.
Katar's bride from planet Thanagar was initially named Shayera Thal, and Carter's wife was born Shiera Sanders. While Shayera started out as Hawkgirl and later changed her name to Hawkwoman, Shiera debuted as Hawkwoman then soon after settled into the alias of Hawkgirl. While both ladies participated in cased involving the Justice League and Justice Society, for which their husbands were members, only Shayera gained membership into her world's League with Shiera only occasionally petitioning for membership into the Society. Eventually she would retire to become a mother while her counterpart kept on going.
In the final analysis, both pairs of Feathered Furies were courageous and natural leaders who inspired their friends and brought fear to their assembled foes as well!