The Mighty Mites had two cases where they worked side-by-side,without their allies on the Justice League and Justice Society. During the second case, Al Pratt noticed the curious aging of new girlfriend Marion Thayer, and that of other women residing in Calvin City's Claxion Woods suburb. Assuming something similar occurred on Earth-One, as the Atom Pratt traveled to the parallel burg of Ivy Town, only to find a rapidly de-aging Atom, aka Ray Palmer.
And now we pickup in the mysterious case of the Duel of the Dual Atoms:
Some interesting parallels and divergences, beyond the costumes and sizes of the Atoms:
- On Earth-One, Ivy TOWN evidently isn't quite as large as Earth-Two's Calvin CITY
- Both had mountains nearby, appropriately named after the locale communities
- The more familiar Van Pelt Radiation Belt around Earth-One (and our own world) is named the Moresby Radiation Belt around Earth-Two
- While Ray has a white dwarf star belt to shrink, Al has an atomic vibrator belt to teleport
- Ray's had a longterm relationship with Jean while Al's relationship with Marion just started
- And of course, Atom-Ray's weight changing ability as opposed to Atom-Al's super-strength
Not to mention that, while Ray had to get around by dialing numbers and zipping through telephone lines, Al had the spiffy Atommobile. Of course, that was displayed in full view in their previous meeting, nevermore to return like many silver age creations of the Justice Society members (think Doctor Mid-Nite's Cryotuber and Sandman's specialized Silicon gun).
As professors for their local universities, both Ray and Al had access to scientific instruments and could theorize situations they were confronted with as the Atom that they could trouble-shoot in their costumed aliases. And of course, they were the most underestimated members of their Worlds' Greatest Teams, providing both muscle and mind to save their planets more than once.